Tuesday 16 April 2013

Reading Blog #2 Siddhartha


The second section that went from page 20 to page 50 was very well described. It had so many detail that it made it possible for me to visualise the situations and connect to my life again. I also had several questions about the text. 

In the last page of the first section I made a connection when it said that Siddhartha stood alone while the rest of the world was melting. This made me recall an event that I will never forget. A very wise teacher once told me that if you wanted to be something in you life you had to be the best. For instance if you wanted to be doctor well you had to sit down and work hard to be the best doctor you could possibly be. You had to surpass others, and avoid the "bubble". The "bubble" according to her was the rest of the people that were as good as you. This phrase in the text made me remember this, "At that moment, when the world around him melted away, when he stood alone like a star in the heavens..." We can infer that he got out of the "bubble" and chose his own path. He didn't follow anyone but himself. Another interesting thing during this second section was the descriptions. This made me visualise the things the author said. I could picture them so beautiful and so full of life and colour. "The world was beautiful.... The moon and the stars were beautiful, the brook, the shore, the forest and rock, the goat and the golden beetle, the flower and butterfly were beautiful. It was beautiful and pleasant to go through the world like that, so childlike, so awakened, so concerened with the immediate, without any distrust." They made me visualise the golden beetle as a beautiful insect with shinning gold, the forest so pretty and so calm with rocks, plants, trees, animals and a river crossing through the landscape.  But questions also arose. For instance one of the main questions I had was why did Kamala seak fine clothes and shoes, and money from Siddhartha in order for him to be her friend? Another question that came up was Why did Siddhartha let her insult him? Why didn't he say anything? 

The the rich descriptions, the questions that arises, and the connections made this section a delight to read. It made me get hooked with the story and intrigued to know what happens to Siddhartha. Did he achieve the three requirements that Kamala asked from him? 

No comments:

Post a Comment